Thursday, June 02, 2005

Toys!

There were a few toys I had as a kid that I loved playing with. I loved my Barbies, stuffed animals, and bike (with banana seat and big ass handle bars). I also had an Easy Bake Oven and Light Bright. But, someone recently brought to mind a toy I had completely forgotten about: the hippity hop.



Mine was red and we used to fly down the sidewalk on that sucker. I could bounce like Tigger, I tell ya'. Thinking about the hippity hop made me remember my jacks.



We used to play during recess and on the sidewalks by our house. And, it was easily transported inside on rainy days. I was pretty good at Jacks.

Remember clackers?



I don't think they even sell those anymore. They pulled them off the market after some kids broke fingers playing with it. Whatever. Pussies. Take the hit and keep going, I say.

We used to play hopscotch and four square, too. There were hopscotch boards? thingys drawn all over the sidewalks in my neighborhood. At school, we played dodge ball and red rover. I remember when I was in second grade, I had decided to be all girly one day. I wore a dress and my mary janes to school. My class decided to play red rover at recess, and when I got called over, I took off running. But, my slick mary janes did not like the blacktop. My feet slid right out from under me and I fell face first onto the blacktop. My upper lip got all swollen like I'd been beaten with a bat. Didn't look so girly after that.

I miss recess. Why can't my whole office close down for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon and let us go out and play dodge ball? There are a couple people here I'd love to bean with a ball. Really hard. It would help me with some aggressive feelings and I could get back to work. Maybe I should put that idea in the suggestion box.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rude Cactus said...

Never had jacks but I do remember those big ball things. And? Big wheels!!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Don't forget Zim Zam or Tetherball. It's not really fun until someone gets a bloody nose.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home